Days 2015

Days 2015

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Singing Commandos

We had a great weekend with my Mom and Dad down here for my cousin Katy's wedding in the Mt. Timpanogos temple.  So glad we got to be there.
Dad had fun hanging out in the backyard with the boys, waiting for us chicas to get ready.


Mom and the girls played cards in the house.

Dad beat the boys at PIG.  Although Cooper may have beat him once...



I was a little nervous for spring break to begin.  Having five kids suddenly at home all week with no routine to fall back on is not my favorite thing in the world.  However, the weather has been gorgeous and they have been well-behaved and happy to play together.  Yesterday was a particularly fun day for the boys.  The farmer who owns the alfalfa field behind our house decided to take advantage of the wind-free weather and burn some stubble on the perimeter of his field.  Ah, stubble smoke.  The most exciting smell of the year for a farm kid, other than branding day.  The boys were fascinated, of course, monitoring the slow progress of the flame-thrower as it came nearer to our property, and the clouds of smoke.  At some point I looked out the window and saw these three little commandos stealthily waiting for the farmer to drive by, armed with their trusty squirt guns!  (Cooper, Boston, and our sweet little neighbor boy, Adam).  

He's getting closer!!!
Too bad for us, the farmer decided not to burn the weeds adjoining our neighborhood fence line.  Dangit.  If I would have been outside I would have requested that he do so, but the smoke was awful and I was expecting company.  In fact, I had to lock the door to the backyard at one point to remind the boys to go through the garage and quit letting smoke in the house.  (They kept running in and out to refill their guns and announce the farmer's progress.)  The boys didn't seem too disappointed that they didn't get a close up fire-extinguishing experience--until I had to holler at Boston who was halfway over the fence, ready to bring Mohammed to the Mountain once he realized the fire wasn't going to be where his gun could reach.

I suppose I should have made them come in out of the smoke, but come on.  Where's the fun in that?  It was a big time, they had some nice baths later, and I even had to shampoo Cooper in the sink a second time after his scalp failed to pass the stubble smoke sniff test.

They played together all day, also swinging on our makeshift hammock that Leslie had strung up in the trees the day before.  That night after lights out I realized the fun wasn't over.  I had been downstairs putting Luke to sleep.  Mark was at a meeting.  The boys had still been making noise in their room after lights out, but I was ignoring them, hoping they would stop.  After I brought Luke up and tucked him away in his crib, it registered that my toughguy commando boys were in their room, in the pitch dark, singing.  This does not usually happen.  And what were they singing with such unified gusto?  Selected numbers from Frozen, currently Queen Elsa's anthem "Let it Go". 

I could not wipe the smile off my face as my two little fellas launched from "let it go!  let it GO!" into "HERE I stand...and HERE I stay!" which is the very very top of Boston's range, so he really has to belt it.  Hilarious.  To be topped only by, possibly, cousin Jaxon's rendering of "Sweet Caroline" last summer.  And then, as they melted into just the right amount of sass and attitude for, "cold never bothered me anyway!"  I opened the door and told them that although I was glad they liked to sing, they needed to be quiet and go to sleep. 

Parental note:  Although I love the music from Frozen (which we have seen all of two times), that line in "Let it Go" with the subtle disdain for being "the good girl" raises my hackles.  Yes, I know that technically it is a villain's theme song (maybe the best villain's theme song since Phantom taught us about the "Music of the Night"), and yes, I get that really it's about letting your talents shine, coloring outside the lines, being true to yourself, etc., and that the Queen figures out how to find true joy at the end of the show, but that one line reminds me too much of Olivia Newton-John's transformation from sweet girl to leather wearing, seductive gang member in Grease.  (What kind of garbage message is that?)  Sons, you will be Real Men if you keep on trying to be "the good girl", er, guy.  You both make me proud.

No comments: