Days 2017

Days 2017

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Next 100 years...

Luke before surgery.  Pretty hard to improve upon...

The day the kids found my camera.  It gets more entertaining as you watch the following battle sequences.

Prepare to meet your doom!

Apparently Boston knew he couldn't outdo Cooper's war poses so he took the funnyman route.
Did I already post these?  Well, they're cute anyway.

Cooper teaches Luke some tough guy moves.

Luke gets wheels.  He's now starting to rock his body back and forth to get it to move, also tries to rock his body to get other things to move and figured out that he can rock his carseat with his legs today.  Brooke, I think he looks like Brig in this picture.

Cooper had his first friends birthday party a week before his birthday so we could get it out of the way before the surgery.  I think they had a blast, and the weather was perfect.

Luke liked watching all of the festivities.
This looks safe, but Mark was actually tossing water balloons.
Luke had his big open heart surgery, called the Glenn procedure, on May 14th.  He was already asleep when we handed him off to the anesthesiologist which made my life less traumatic.  (Cool sidenote, our anesthesiologist was our BYU President's son and about our age, so we were swapping stories as we walked down the long hall of doom.)  I only barely cried a little bit in the waiting room and after we passed him off--gallons less tears than when he was born.  We both felt really confident and at peace that this surgery would be a great thing, and it really has been better than we could have imagined.  Thanks to everyone for their fasting and prayers.

Luke was put under for quite a long time.  Surgery was scheduled for 7:30.  After they hooked him up to everything they also did an esophagal echocardiogram to check how everything was doing, and another one after his surgery was over, plus it was a long procedure.  The surgeon did tell us that they do Glenns all the time, it just takes a while (it is open heart surgery).   We got updates about every hour and a half or so, including one that told us when he was going on the bypass machine and when he was back off of it.  We think he got done about 1:45, but then it took them another hour and a half or so to get him into the Cardiac ICU and waking up where we could go see him.  When the surgeon came to give us the summary of how things went, he seemed really keyed up and talked kind of fast, almost like a basketball player coming off of a great game.  Things had gone great and they did the procedure as expected, rerouting the blood that flows from the top half of his body to be able to get to his lungs without his shunt.  The doc also tightened up a beneficial small hole that has been letting some extra blood flow get to his lungs to increase the blood pressure and hopefully encourage his right ventricle to grow a little more.   We also felt brave enough at this point to ask a few questions.  Apparently the death rate for single ventricle babies the first few days including the first shunt surgery is 20-25%.  (We sort of remember that they told us this at the time and we both cried.) Yikes!  Although the doc said at that point he would have projected that Luke's odds were a little better, closer to only 10-15%, because of his extra blood flow.  This surgery, although it was open heart and seemed way more complex, was actually much less dangerous, with only 2-3% death rate, and it was a relief to hear that going in.  At the end of the day, I felt like it was Christmas or something, that all my storm clouds had blown away, and that the Lord, this time for us in our Abrahamic trial, had provided a ram in the thicket.

This is what Luke's monitors read when we came in to see him.  It was the first time we had seen his oxygen be at 99% saturation.  Yes, he was still on oxygen, but it was awesome anyway.  Yesterday at his post op visit, NOT on oxygen, he measured at 100% for a bit.  I'm not even that high.

I think this is the day after surgery.  They told us that Glenn babies are usually very cranky for a few days because the change of blood circulation in their head probably gives them a headache.  He was very cranky for the first few hours, even on morphine, etc., but by that evening he seemed fine and the next day he was in great spirits.  The nurse (who was hilarious and reminded me of a talky Jewish grandma) was elated because they usually dread taking care of the cranky Glenn babies.  She spent alot of time finding him awesome toys and playing with him.  The tiger he got to keep.  He is very flushed in this picture because of the increased blood circulation.  It made him very itchy and we spent most of the day trying to keep his hands busy instead of rubbing his face (oxygen tube) and neck (big bandage) or grabbing the IV that was in his foot or his sensor wires.  He didn't sleep much and I was pretty tired by the end of the day, too.

The nurse thought he was so cute right here she insisted I take a picture.  I like his lucky socks--he wore them his whole hospital stay because they stayed on way better than those fat hospital socks and kept his IV and pulse ox covered up.

You let them what?  Say what?

By day three he was on the regular recovery floor.  We took a video of Leslie singing "Good morning to Luke" and showed it to him.  He was pretty excited about that.

This may be the day we came home?  Or maybe the day before.  He finally had his painful chest tubes off and out and I was able to hold him.
Cooper is six.  We opened his presents in the morning and then Mark and I hurried to the hospital.  We really appreciated that my mom was able to stay with the kids all week.  It's a big job!  Also thanks to the lovely ladies who brought meals in.

Boston had been working on a gift bag full of prizes to give Cooper for his birthday for months.

Luke came home on Cooper's birthday, not even on the oxygen that we were expecting to use for a couple of months.  With Cooper turning six, our family's total age turned 100 (as mentioned in previous post.)  That Monday for Family Home Evening we threw ourselves a 100 years old party.  (It was a great way to celebrate Luke's homecoming, even though with the age of 0 he wasn't helping our cumulative score much.)

What are the odds that any of us will ever get to blow out 100 candles again?  Probably better than we would expect, but still, it was fun to blow this off of our bucket lists.  The candles are not supposed to be in any particular shape, I just didn't know what I was doing or how much space they would take up.

Mind your own beeswax.

Here's to the next 100 years!


Brandon and Miranda said...

I'm so glad everything went so well with the surgery. Luke is a little cutie. He definitely fits it with his brothers and sisters:-).

erica e said...

Congratulations to the Day family for so many reasons! How wonderful to be able to celebrate birthdays and happy babies and miracles together as a family!

The Haynes Herd said...

Happy 100th birthday! That is such a cool idea. We r glad Luke is such a strong little dude. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple weeks!