Days 2015

Days 2015

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ice cream is the glue.


Sometimes it feels like ice cream is the glue that helps us keep it all together.  (Or brownies, cake, popsicles, cookies, cupcakes, donuts...what else yummy have we had this summer?)  I need to send in this shot to the BYU creamery so they can use it to advertise.  Like they need to advertise...
PS.  Cooper is finally starting to get a few freckles and looks SOOO much like Mark did at his age.

At the beginning of the summer, I took some time with the kids one morning and we worked on a huge table-sized poster of brainstorming what kind of things we wanted to do this summer.  I am happy to announce that we have been able to accomplish/enjoy almost all of the things we could think of.  This even includes the not-as-fun ideas I brainstormed, such as Boston learning to tie his shoes--this week one of his jobs has been tying Mark's shoes onto his feet five times, and sometimes he has done ten just because he is proud of himself.  One notable exception to our summer poster accomplishments has been our lack of a camping trip due to 3rd Trimester.  We did have a backyard campout planned with some friends for the dads and kids, but of course that night it stormed and Mark vetoed my big plan to fix my boring-pregnant-mom-guilt.  I tried to compensate this week by telling the kids if they worked hard on their morning chores I would set up the two-man tent for them to play with all afternoon.  It worked like a charm....until the boys got to having a little too much fun and figured out that without the stakes in, they could run inside of it and roll it all over the lawn, like running in a barrel.  They snapped a pole and amen to that tent.

Here is a partial report of some of those awesome summer goals we've been able to do the last few weeks, probably in very scrambled order because I am not as smart as the computer.


Mom and Dad made a surprise visit to come down and play while they picked up their "Braaand Neeew Caaarrr!"
One day Papa took us out to Chuck-A-Rama for lunch and was appalled to learn on the following drive to the Bingham Copper Mine that the delicious but slightly funny tasting pot roast he'd had was turkey, not beef. He about died, both from missing out on beef at CHUCK a-rama and from the professional insult.  (He's a rancher.)  I was perfectly happy with the fish, myself.


 We have made a few visits to our favorite summertime evening hangout, the splashpark.
What the kids did:  Played in the water, ALWAYS remembering to walk and not run.
What I did:  Sat in the lawn chair and ate subs, fruit and cheetos.



Leslie doesn't like cheetos, crazy girl.  This time I was a good mom and remembered the Pringles.


What the kids did:  Rode bikes with Papa and Grandma by the Jordan river.
What Mark did:  Spend HOURS into the double digits trying to master his nemesis, the flat bike tire.  He hates working on bikes (because they are always flat) but was such a trouper to get them all in working order and the right size before for our company came, including Macy's bike trailer.  Everything worked like a charm and the kids were so excited.  (Yesterday Cooper's new back tire, complete with protective tape and whatever that foam stuff is, went flat. I thought Mark was going to cry.)
What I did:  Enjoyed an empty house and took some naps.




I guess the kids also got to throw rocks into the river.  I don't even think that was on our poster!  Good thing they remembered.  Thanks for the pictures, Mom.


What the kids did:  Played hard on the waterslides at Seven Peaks.
What I did:  Waited at the bottom of the slide in a plastic chair for Mark, Mom, and the kids to come down the slides. Dad helped with the spectating because of his bad knee, but he did manage to get a few slides in.
What I also did:  Basked in the knowledge of "getting my money's worth" on our pass-of-all-passes and didn'tt worry too much about having to pay full admission as a non-functional beached whale.

 What I did:  Insisted on a trip to Krispy Kreme on the way home from the water park so I could have a little fun as well.  I don't think anyone minded.  Thanks for the donuts, Dad!
What I also did:  Made everyone wear a hat for the picture.  Aren't they cute!

 What Mark did:  Drove us up the canyon all the way to Cascade Springs.
What the kids did:  Hiked all the way to the bottom of the springs, enjoying the beautiful scenery, the crazy Snow White trees, and the fish they spotted.  Then they hiked back up the hill to the van.
What I did:  Hiked quite comfortably, thank you, to the bottom of the springs, enjoying the beautiful children, and sat with Macy under the pavillion at the bottom of the springs until Mark and the kids came to pick us up in the van.

 What Mark did:  Decided it was too beautiful of a Saturday to just go home after our drive through the canyon, so he took us the long way to make a stop at BYU.
What the kids did:  Enjoyed their fabulous ice cream.  With their whole face.
What I did:  (Besides devouring my ice cream) Cleaned up children and marched everyone through BYU's art museum.  The kids were much more interested than I expected and in a happy coincidence, one of the summer exhibits was a series of gorgeous photos of the canyon where we had just been!  It was fun for the kids to recognize the places they had just seen.


 Cooper taking a shot at the crazy sculpture animals outside the museum.
 What Mark and my Dad did:  Took the kids "shooting" at Cabela's.  I don't think my kids would have let Dad leave without this traditional outing.
What I did:  Went through baby boy clothes with mom.  Thanks Rach and Brooke!  I think this baby will only need diapers.  (We counted something like, 18 blankets.  Crazy.)

The boys are happily waiting the arrival of Curly.  Apparently they are Larry and Moe.




 Boston is a good fish spotter.


 I think this tree was also featured in a photo at the museum.  We have an eye for this type of thing!

 What Boston did:  Finally produce a loose tooth.  Even though he is oldish for his grade, I think he was the only one in his class who hadn't lost one yet.
 He also provided some much needed entertainment by making a huge tearful drama out of the whole thing.  Usually he is such a tough guy but he did NOT like my insisting that it was time for the dang thing to come out.
 What Mark and I did:  Laugh our faces off and come up with lots of fun, creative ways that he could choose to pull the tooth.  We also tried bribery with treats and computer time.  This backfired a little, (okay, a lot) when I jokingly said that Cooper could have those things if he pulled Boston's tooth.  Cooper took me seriously and was extremely upset that Boston wouldn't even open his mouth for him.  Then we had two howling children.  Of course, this didn't really dampen the laughing off of the faces of the two horrible parents.
What I did:  Finally convince Boston to open his mouth and let me have a try with my nice, soft, tiny Mommy fingers after Mark's big Dad hands didn't work out too well.  Boston was a little concerned about my fingernails so I had to show him the washcloth I could use (I didn't use it.)  It took me half a second.  

 What Boston did:  Screamed, laughed, put his tooth in a baggy, and declared in all sincerity, "I wasn't even scared!"  Then he had the gall to ask if he could play a computer game since he had pulled out his tooth.  Wha?  I told him no and that I should get to have treats and play a computer game.
I think he and Cooper got to share a computer game.  Later.

 What the boys did:  Took swimming lessons.  I put them in the same level but they were in different age groups.  They both passed their levels.  Cooper surprised me by doing just as well as Boston (actually, better the first few days...I told Mark it was like watching Michael Phelps and the Titanic in turn) even though he had never had lessons before.  He was such a fish even in this second level and didn't seem to mind getting water in his eyes or mouth (it seemed like his mouth was always open while swimming--pretty funny to watch).  Boston took a few days to ease back into it but by the second week he was doing really well and swimming a long way across the pool before needing to stop for air.

Leslie is getting so tall.  She might match mom someday soon and pass me up.


 What I did:  Enjoy a visit from one of my dearest friends, Debbie.  We met when Leslie and her daughter Elizabeth were babies together, and ever since then we have been able to compare notes about being moms.  She is a little more expert than I am, however, and although you would never guess it in a million years, she is farther along than I am by about a month, and expecting her SEVENTH.
 What the boys did:  Worked hard getting the thistles out of our mostly empty garden, TOGETHER.  I assigned this job to Boston, but Cooper piped up, "Can't I help, Mom?  I want to weed the same place as Boston."  Boston was touched and gave Cooper a big hug.  Uncle Duke showed them what to do and they filled up the wagon and the dump truck with thistles.
What I did:  Peeked through the window and my gorgeous Russian sage to take a few pictures of this adorable team.



 Every girl needs a napping with Dad picture.  Awww.

No comments: