Days 2015

Days 2015

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bull in the China Shop

The other day (as most days) Boston woke up in his high-energy, wound up mood.  After putting up with a few hours of him bouncing off the walls and being more physical than I would have liked with everyone in his path (yes, there were tears from Cooper and Macy), I sat him down and tried to discuss with him the meaning of a well-known phrase, to give him something to think about before he inflicted such behavior upon his kindergarten class later that day.
"Boston," I said, "Have you ever heard anyone talk about a bull in a china shop?"
He hadn't, but was intrigued by the idea, so I tried to explain to him what it meant, and asked him to settle down or go outside.
The rest of the morning he pretended to be a bull.
Sigh.

To tell a slightly punny story along with that, this morning he told me that his bum was from China.
Ok...
He can read well enough now that he figured out what the sticker said that he had inadvertently sat on, and he thought the whole "Made in China" concept was pretty hilarious.
He then proceeded to entertain us at the breakfast table with his new kung fu moves, choreographed on the spot, his backside leading the action.

Macy is enjoying her last few months of being the baby of the family.  Every morning she comes and climbs into bed with Mark and I, cuddling me and playing guessing games with Mark.  She also gets upset if she doesn't get to "help" me get dressed in the morning, mostly because she hates getting locked out.  This morning I was tying the sash on one of the few "regular" dresses I can still squeeze into.  She was fascinated and wanted to try, so I let her put a few extra knots and twists into the strings.  When she was finished, she stepped back to admire her work. 
"Oh, you look SO beautiful."  Then, turning to Mark who was standing beside me, "NOW you can kiss her, Daddy!"

Of course he did.
This week we celebrated our 13th anniversary.  We had a lovely time trying out a French pastry shop downtown and then touring the International Art Competition exhibit (only comes every three years!) at the Church History Museum.  It was fun to hear his smart mouth reaction on some of the more modern, out-there stuff and also to agree on which pictures we liked the best.  He doesn't usually let me drag him to stuff like that, but I think this was pretty fun for both of us.
Of course, he does have a pretty creative streak himself.
We decided to have a little bit of fun and not take ourselves to seriously over the unromantic number 13, so although he brought me flowers, he also got me something else I had been wanting for our home storage.  The card he wrote me went something like this. 
What should I give to my queen of 13 years?  A crown?  Jewels?  Or a new throne?
He got me an portable toilet seat from Emergency Essentials.  Snaps on to a 5 gallon bucket.
It's a good thing I had already requested one (as he was WELL aware) or he never would have dared.
He said he also wants to get us a sun oven when they are on sale in a few weeks, and I'm pretty excited about that, too.
I guess you could say that my anniversary presents catch both types of sunshine.


2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey! I heard from Laurie that you might be moving closer to us. Yay! Wish you were in our ward!

Brooke and Jared said...

Glad you had a great anniversary! We are excited to see you in a couple of weeks.