Days 2015

Days 2015

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Boston's first day

Boston finally got to start kindergarten this week.  It seems like he (and we) have been waiting forever since he has a fall birthday.  At least we get to start a month early since we have a year-round school district.
He says he had fun, he likes school, there might be a couple of cute girls in his class (Mark asked him that), and he wondered today when he is "done" with school.  Not that he wants to be--I think he meant it to ask how long he gets to go.  I think my answer of, not for at least 12 years pleased him--I told him at that point he could go on a mission, get married and go to college.
My favorite part was when I came to pick him up, and I saw this tall pretty girl in glasses coming down the sidewalk and holding hands with this TEENSY little boy, then realizing that it was Leslie and Boston.  A.  He must have still felt kind of nervous because he never holds her hand.  B.  He's not really that little, pretty average sized, but compared to all those other kids pouring out of the school he looked tiny.  Since his name really fits around our house--The Boss Man--it was instructive for me to see him in a different setting from a wider perspective.
I'll post some pictures of his first day as soon as I hunt down the camera. 
I am mentally adjusting to having more time with only two little chillins to take care of.  I can actually handle two kids in most situations and places, so I'm trying to think of some fun places to go with them.  Any ideas?  Yesterday we walked around our across the street ponds and looked at water bugs and tadpoles.  Today we tried out a new playground for a little while after we dropped off Boston, until it got too hot.
The real adjustment is going to be when Cooper starts preschool (yes, I finally found an affordable preschool nearby with lots of other boys to play with so he can have his "own" friends).  He will be going two afternoons a week.  That means it will be just me and my shadow at home.  I know that I had tons of fun with Leslie when I had her at home all to myself and am trying to remember the kinds of things we did.  We did a lot of playgroups, went to museums and parks and shopping (when was the last time I went shopping for fun...), oh, and let's not forget the legendary "Movie Day" where my still childless friends from Loch Lomond and I would meet one afternoon a week for goodies and a show to while away the summer.  Leslie was the only kid there.  Hmm.  I guess that last one was more for me than for her, but she did like to go places.
I'm guessing it won't really be that big of a difference because we will probably get our grocery shopping done one of the days and play with friends or go places or nap (if I can convince her she needs one) on the other day.
She better get a little brother or sister one of these days before I get too entirely carried away with my excess time.
Our garden is in full swing.  I was excited to make my first try at homemade pesto from our basil.  I wasn't sure we would have enough for the required two cups of leaves, but we still have tons and tons.  I made panini sandwiches from my friend Jaryn's recipe (it was also her pesto recipe).  You get some good Italian bread, slather on pesto, thin slices of tomato and fresh mozzerella, more basil leaves, roasted red peppers from a jar, and then cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich.  She does hers in a George Foreman so it flattens nicely and cooks both sides.  I cooked mine on a griddle with a foil wrapped brick on top.  It worked great, even if it took a little longer.  (I also served cucumber spears from our garden.) Mark and I felt like we were at Zuppas.  Macy and Leslie liked theirs.  The boys whined.  Oh well.
Summer food.  Mmmm.

No comments: