Days 2015

Days 2015

Friday, April 29, 2011

Humpty Dumpty's friend


We had a fun Easter. All week we put up a new picture on the wall about Jesus and the Easter Story, ending on Easter morning with my mom's favorite painting of Christ at the Garden Tomb with Mary Magdalene. They really enjoyed that and asked lots of questions. Boston kept wondering if the crown of thorns were the same kind of thorns that scratch him from the rose bushes. Saturday we dyed eggs and I was reminded that dying Easter eggs with kids is mostly, Mom dyes eggs and everyone watches and throws in their opinion. Leslie, luckily, did fine on her own.
On Wednesday Cooper was his usual pre-bedtime wound-up self and jumped off the couch. He landed on his hands instead of his feet and howled like a banshee. (I asked Mark, "How do you tell if they are actually hurt if they ALWAYS howl like a banshee?") Anyway, Cooper turned white as a sheet and went to get his "blue blank" to wrap his arm in. Of course, he never wants me to look at it, touch it, or try to help, at least until he has sort of stopped crying. He was still crying a half hour later (and we couldn't hear American Idol) so I decided to take him in to the KidsCare after hours.
When we pulled in to the hospital parking lot, and the hospital was all huge, lit up, and scary looking, he said, "Mom, it doesn't hurt anymore! Let's go home." I asked him to move his hand for me and he couldn't do side-to-side without crying again, so I carried him inside.
He had calmed down just fine by X ray time, and that was actually "pretty awesome". He kept asking about his skeleton and was excited to get a glow-in-the-dark dinosaur skeleton sticker.
He had what I guess is called a buckle fracture, close to the end of his left radius (the one that lines up with your thumb). So they made a brace for him, gave him a sling, and told us to come back in a few days for casting.
Somehow I could have guessed it would be Cooper who would be my first kid with a broken bone. I'm just glad it was self-inflicted!
PS. Also glad for hubby's new job and good health insurance.

No comments: