Days 2015

Days 2015

Monday, February 7, 2011

Boringest

Things that happen
when my kids are BORED.
Boston learns how to spell "Stupid". Hey, it motivated him.
BossHog & CoopDawg make up their own rap. Complete with butterfly nets.
Cooper tries on Grandpa's bald-guy hat. Boston is also sporting his Batman shirt with wings.
We go to the library. Mom and Leslie come back with a zillion novels. The guys aim a little lower. (Notice Cooper's wannabe light-saber he is holding for comparison.)
Macy starts digging in the pantry and scoops out flour all over herself and her clothes. And then tries to clean up.
Leslie gets older and plays with fire, but she is laughing too hard to blow out the last few candles.

Today seemed very long. I looked at the clock at 2:00 and thought, are you kidding me? Leslie doesn't even get home for two more hours??! It was long because it was cold outside and the kids seemed extra loud, bored, whiny and needy. So I did what any other rational mama would do--I gave in to the whining and called a friend to come play with Boston. (He only whines for three things. TV, Friends to Play, and MORE snacks). I thought that was going well until 45 minutes later, Boston and his little friend Miriam came up to me and declared that our house was "the boringest". They wanted to play at her house instead. I had already told her mom that I would keep her longer, but they insisted that there wasn't a single thing in the house or out of it that they wanted to play with, and I wasn't about to give in to Whine Subject #1--TV. So, feeling guilty for being the boringest Mom, I called my friend Yolanda back and she agreed to take Boston over there. Again. About half an hour later my other new friend, Rebecca, called. She and Yolanda had decided to entertain all their kids. By taking them horseback riding at a park. They wanted my permission to let Boston come along. Sure. Guess I truly am the boringest! I can't really compete with that. NOR would I want to. You ladies are awesome and fun, but CRAZY! It was like, 30 degrees out and blizzarding! I know this town is way more of a horse town than even Lehi (home of the Roundup Days Rodeo), but even in Montana, moms don't just up and decide to take a bunch of kids horseback riding in a blizzard just because the kids are being stinkers. I guess this is just a good illustration of the minor adjustments that come from moving--they are just very different adjustments than I expected. Another minor example--ALL of Boston's new friends have dogs. Big ones. In our last neighborhood he had, not kidding, more than 12 boys his age group within two blocks and not a single one that I can think of had a dog. Okay, maybe one, but it was a tiny dog. And maybe a cat, but Boston likes cats. He is terrified of dogs and I'm not too fond of them myself. Dana Jo, it's all your fault. You and your barky German shepherd with the funny name, Heidl or something (I just keep thinking Heil Hitler...). I guess this is a good way for him to get over it--lured by boredom into the jaws of terror.
Everyone has chickens here. Not fond of chickens, either, but I am always needing to borrow an egg on Sunday, so I guess that's a good thing, too.
The kids (and I) had mellowed out a bit by dinner, and I managed to find some humor in some of the things they said. During family scripture study I was asking the kids what they thought about the phrase "the Holy Ghost speaketh the truth and lieth not." Boston had a good answer--so he thought. "Goliath was a big giant. He got killed." Mark and I looked at each other in puzzlement. Then we realized he was listening, sort of. Go-Lieth.
Leslie helped Boston get ready for his Family Home Evening lesson. He is always very serious about how he wants it to be, and he insisted that he wanted a scripture about Resurrection. I didn't know any of this, all I heard when she came to me for help was, "Mom, where's the Tropical Guide?"
Macy had mercifully agreed to take a nap this afternoon, and she was in fine spirits after dinner. As I was washing the dishes, she was being girly and playing house or something with a clean changing pad that usually fits onto her changing table. She's lay it on the floor, and sit on it and talk to herself, then put it somewhere else and do the same thing. Finally she spread it out on the table and stood back to admire her work. In a hushed voice, "Oohhh. The diaper changey is BOOTiful!" So are you Macy. And the rest of you children, too. Even on long, boring days.
PS. I removed no less than 14 bracelets, rubber bands and hair elastics from Macy's wrist and ankle tonight when putting her to bed. Just thought you might think that was fantastic.
PPS. I found out that the 50 lb bag of flour I thought I had in storage for the last five years, the one that needs to get used, is actually a 50 lb bag of Farina. I looked up Farina online. Farina is the fancy way of saying Cream of Wheat. Gag-me-with-a-spoon. Guess where that puppy is going for the next fifty years or until I die? A little duct tape and it's as good as new, back on the shelf!

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I know my kids have had a fun day depending on how many sets of clothes they go through in a day and how dirty there little fingernails are. Come on over and play with us. Our house is small but the yard is huge, but we are getting lots more chickens this spring and we do have a very scary pug:)

Kristin said...

Your kids do the craziest stuff, and it looks adorable. When mine do it, not only do I NOT take a picture, I wouldn't post it for fear the world would be continually wondering where I am! You are great.