Days 2015

Days 2015

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

the Menace Gene

We had a Dennis the Menace moment today. Not so unusual, except that I'm remembering to write it down since Dad was just teasing me that Boston must have gotten the Dennis the Menace gene from him and from his Dad, who he claims was worse. True, Grandpa Happy Jack was pretty bad--gotta love the story about locking his big sister up and telling her future husband when he drove up that she had gone to the State Fair Rodeo with another guy. I couldn't even think of a single naughty story about my Dad. I might have to call Aunt "Cow" Patti. Oh wait, I guess he did come up with that name for her...
So, our visit from Dennis today happened while I was baking some Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. MMM. I was anticipating the warm, wafting, cinnamon/vanilla/pumpkin scent, but I kept getting a whiff of something else. Familiar and flowery and pretty strong, and I couldn't quite place it. I've found that the surest, quickest way to solve a mystery at my house is to hunt down the boys. The smell got stronger as I approached the master bathroom. Lo and behold, all three littl'uns were in there. In Boston's hand was a spray bottle filled to the brim with water. This was actually a pleasant surprise because I had asked Mark to have the boys get me a spray bottle for Christmas to water down their alfalfa hair on Sunday mornings. The unpleasant part of the surprise was the bottle he had so cleverly filled up with water used to be filled up with Victoria's Secret Body Spray, "Pretty in Pink". Apparently he emptied it out on himself and the other two kids, and all over the bathroom. They REEK. Luckily(?), I didn't really like that kind very much, preferring "Enchanted Apple". (Of course, if he had gone for the "Enchanted Apple" instead, the smell wouldn't have clashed so bad with the pumpkin bread. Oh well.)

No comments: