Days 2015

Days 2015

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Prairie Paisley and other Summer Sundries





This summer has been a good one for finishing projects. (Other than potty training, which drags on and on...After a couple weeks off (things were getting a little too frustrating), today we said a final goodbye to pullups and declared it underwear day. Three accidents to two voluntary trips. And that's progress.) Our air conditioner on the main floor has been out all summer, so I've spent a lot of time in the basement. I'm not very good at playing with my kids for very long, but I like to be available, so I read or sew or referee, and they play. When we decided at the beginning of this year that we would try to sell our house, I didn't want to go into a frenzy of cleaning and organizing since the time frame wasn't very urgent, but I did want to finish some projects that I'd had stuffed into a closet. Now the house has three offers on it, we still don't know the time frame, and I've made some very satisfying creations.
The Rosy Windmills quilt I started when I was going through my years of infertility and decided that, doggonit, I was just going to make myself a quilt if I coulnd't make one for a baby. Mid project, I found out I was pregnant, and then that I was having a boy, so that one was put on hold for a long time. Then I got kind of sick of it and made something else for Macy (plus, she needed one with blue in it because her bedroom is blue), but now that it's done (except the binding to be stitched) I love it. I think whichever child finally gets it (do I have any nieces on the way?) should be named Rosie!
The Prairie Paisley quilt top just got ironed up today. I did this quilt as a quilt block exchange with my Loch Lomond Quilt guild. We each did 12 stars that were the same and then exchanged them two years ago. The only stipulation was that it was a 12 inch star and that we used the fabric line called "Prairie Paisley". My star is the top left blue one--not my fav. I did a courthouse steps border around it to make it big enough for a queen bed. Next summer I think we'll use it as a bedspread. My grandma LaVonne would have loved it--she liked flags/Americana.
Other projects I've worked on this summer include teaching my kids how to work and do regular chores--see Macy playing dress up with Leslie in the bathroom they just cleaned? Macy must not have caught the gist of it, though, because here is a few days later when she and Cooper decided to trash a different bathroom.
As for my ongoing project--EATING--I have had a favorite summer recipe that I keep wanting to eat by the bucketful. (Last summer's favorite was homemade bruschetta with my own tomatoes and basil and loads of garlic) My cousin-in-law Shelley made this for the Memorial Day reunion and I've kind of reverse engineered it until I think I've got a pretty good copy. I don't know what she calls it, but I'm going for Cucumber Cottage Cheese dip. It's very easy and you can just stir it up with a spoon. (This one would have been good last summer when we picked well over 100 cukes!)

Cucumber Cottage Cheese Dip
3 big scoops Cottage Cheese
1 small scoop mayo
1 grated cucumber, no need to peel
2 chopped green onions
a generous sprinkling of garlic salt
Stir and eat with Triscuits (if you prefer the salty) or Wheat Thins (if you prefer a bit sweeter). I like the Triscuits.

2 comments:

erica e said...

mmm. sounds yummy. and i LOVE the quilts. what a great way to put together the prairie paisley! and the rosie one is great too- especially with such a fun story.

Kristin said...

I L-O-V-E the prairie paisley one! What a terrific look, can't wait to see it in person.