Days 2015

Days 2015

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pop Culture Puzzlement


So, Brooke was the winner of my movie quiz, with Darcy a close second because (she says) she wasn't by her computer. The answer was Father Goose, with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron. Unfortunately, when we went to watch it, we found out the security clip had been left on, and the library was closed. So, we decided to watch something a little more daring. I introduced Leslie, almost 9, to the wonderful world of "Doctah Jones." Hey, Raiders of the Lost Ark is rated PG, and I muted most of the swearing. I discovered that I am doing a good job as a parent because she was pretty shocked every time somebody got shot or showed a little blood. I told her it was fake blood, like at Halloween, and she said she knew that but, "This whole movie is pretty much DISGUSTING." (That was after the blood-spattered propeller scene.) She liked it, though, and it was a good thing we were watching it by ourselves in the basement and not at a theater because her pie hole did not stop moving for the entire two hours. "Who's that? What are they doing? Hey, I just noticed that..." Man, that kid can jabber!
I think we'll hold off on Temple of Doom for a few years. I remember the first time I saw that--I was probably about 11--and I was so freaked out I couldn't get to sleep. And I was the oldest!
My boys are getting a little garbled pop culture through their friends since their parents are so lame and only let them watch stuff like Mickey Mouse and Backyardigans. Boston has a friend with older brothers. They have a Star Wars video game at their house, and Boss and his friend like to pretend to be the characters. Only Boston doesn't really have much of a clue what it's all about. I was cracking up yesterday when Boston was trying to teach Cooper how to play Star Wars. Here were the characters I heard him discussing. "Leia, Chewie, Darf Baiter, Blue Skywalker, GREEN Skywalker (is this because maybe his friend has blue and green light sabers?)Life Savers, and my personal favorite, Arta-tootie.
Then today, Cooper wasn't much better. My kids love Bugs Bunny. We have the Gold Collection on DVD and that's what they get to listen to in the car on trips because Mark and I like listening, too, and laughing at the humor that is way over the kids' head, like Gringo Daffy Duck saying things like, "Stick 'em up, Homber!". Much less annoying than, say, Dora the Explorer. Anyway, today Cooper was playing with his Bugs Bunny deck of cards and making matches. He yells, "Look Mom! I got Mormon the Martian!"

No comments: