Days 2015

Days 2015

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Our Cup Runs Over...Christmas of '09










You know, when Mark and I were trying to decide where to live, we prayed that we would be able to be somewhere where we could do the most good--where the Lord could really use us. We felt very clearly that the neighborhood we chose was the right one, and so I assumed that this was why. Now I am realizing that although we had righteous desires to do good, our philosophy was a little arrogant. As time goes by, I'm realizing that we are where we are because there are so many wonderful people around us who help us and who teach us. Hopefully the Lord can use some deeply humbled Days.
I was looking forward to a really good Christmas. Leslie was getting a new backpack to replace her extremely tattered old one. Mark was getting new shoes because his other ones have holes in the bottom and he can't wear them in the snow. The boys were very confident that Santa was bringing Buzz Lightyear and Woody, and of course, he did. Macy wasn't getting much at all but didn't really care because everyone knows that babies only like the wrapping paper anyway. I was feeling great about the whole thing because I knew that I had found what everyone wanted and, even though we had to replace our washing machine a couple weeks earlier, I still had a Christmas budget. Of course, we were down to our last pound of hamburger, but even that was okay because my deep freeze needed to be defrosted in a bad way (a bag of corn had exploded all over the bottom of it.) And Mark's work has picked up a lot and we are planning on a good January.
Once in a while, though, when the Lord knows that you've had a bit of a hard time, He decides that it's time for a little extra spoiling. This Christmas, our cup really overflowed, clear over onto our porch when our Secret Santas rang our doorbell and peeled out of our street into the night. I don't feel worthy of the generosity, but on behalf of our family, we accepted with joyful hearts and hope to pay it forward someday. I don't think we've EVER had so much for Christmas! Here are some fun pictures of us enjoying our surprising Christmas morning, along with our memorable Christmas eve dinner with Mark's folks. We had a meal of our "favorite things" at a sort-of picnic by the tree. It was great!

No comments: