Days 2015

Days 2015

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Cheap Collection

I realized yesterday that my cheap decorating habits have created quite the collection of Christmas cards over the years. I always keep the pretty ones and hang them up all over the house--with clothespins on a string over the fireplace, by size and color collections over the dining room windows, by matched pairs on the cabinets, my favorite ones in the kitchen where I can see them the best. The kids all have their favorites and I wonder if that is what their memories of decorating for Christmas will be. Leslie begged and begged me to have the first crack at sorting and hanging them. What are some of my favorites? I love one from the Price family with a little boy sticking his tongue to a flagpole. I love the ones that have strings of mittens on them. I love any with great big words. I love the Leaning Tree one with the cowboy overlooking an imaginary town of Bethlehem and an extra large star in the sky. I love the stained glass nativity scene from one of my Catholic friends. I love the picture of the scruffy farm boy who built a snowman for the cows (he reminds of my little brother Duke in moonboots, red cheeks and a runny nose.) I even have one that I never hang up but I keep because I received it in the mail from my Grandma Haynes after I got back from her funeral.
Anyway, it's been fun decking the halls. Another fun Christmas thing has been enjoying my new "church job" of Primary Chorister. Last Sunday I started teaching the kids "Angels We Have Heard on High". It was SO fun to hear all those little voices trying to sing "Glooooria" in one breath. We are going to sing it during the Sunday sacrament meeting. I found a really extravagant arrangement with an organ and four hands on the piano that, as a kid, I would have thought was THE coolest to get to sing to, but in the end, my grown-up self said no, the parents just want to hear their kids sing. Let's not distract from the message, sigh. I think I will sneak in a recording of the fancy arrangement to practice to, once, just for fun, though.
Grandma and Grandpa Heagy came to visit on Sunday. I still am amazed at how lucky I am to have had such a close relationship with all four of my grandparents, and that my children can know their great-grandparents. It just made me laugh to see Boston and Grandpa with their heads together at the far end of the table, silently playing memory cards and sharing goodies. I wonder if Boston realizes that most kids don't get to pop a giant marshmallow into their great-grandfather's willing mouth?They were just two kids playing, one young, one old. Grandma brought me a huge set of dishes that she was "retiring" because she got a new set for her anniversary. (Don't be jealous Brooke and Darcy--I only got them because she knew I have the same pattern.) Anyway, I admire her more and more with each child I have. She had six, and Grandpa was very gone to work at the base all day every day from Breakfast to Dinner...not like my Dad who was just out in the field or checking the cows with the boys or irrigating somewhere on the motorbike. It made me feel so good to be able to complain about Macy's horrible eating habits and have Grandma laugh and say, "Oh, yes, been there, done that" and then pantomine trying to feed a picky baby "Looky up here...now take bite. Looky up here...now take a bite." She can do it, I can do it, and I think that is the point and the blessing of learning from your elders.

1 comment:

The Haynes Herd said...

I love your Christmas card decorations. I was just thinking about them the other day while I was putting up our stockings, (which Jaxon proceeded to take down and try on as soon as he saw them). I think that is such a fun idea and I'm sure your kids will be doing it with their families too.