Days 2015

Days 2015

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Moabites











We actually went on a family vacation to a vacation destination! Yay, us! Thanks to our friends the Sorensons for giving us all the insider tips for families with small children, and a huge thanks to Brooke and Jared for keeping all of my children from falling off the cliff, etc.
I've decided I like camping in the desert. I miss the lovely smell of the pines, but really liked how quiet it was at night, and also that I didn't have to take off my shoes every time I entered the tent. (No pine needles and/or mud to track in.)
We went on two family hikes, one that was about a mile around the windows arches at sunset, SO fun. We also hiked up to Delicate Arch, about three miles. Cooper struggled a bit with that one since it was uphill and he walked clear to the top, but we took lots of rests and he zonked out on Mark's or Jared's shoulders the whole way down. Boston, although only a couple inches taller than Cooper, was surprisingly good at hiking, actually causing some safety problems for us because he always wanted to be in front, running. We made Jared be his hiking buddy. He kept saying to us emphatically, "I WON'T quit, Mom!"
Besides Cooper, I was actually the biggest wuss on that hike. I did carry Macy the whole way and felt like superwoman because of it, but I hadn't realized, even after seeing pictures of Delicate Arch like, every day on the Utah license plate and everywhere else you can think of, that it is on the top of a mountain and that to see it, you have to perch on a skinny little cliff with the wind whistling around you and great big black birds of prey hopping greedily around you and your children. Yes it was gorgeous and fresh and surprising, but it took my breath away in more ways than one. I wanted to be a lead-footed octopus and wrap two arms around each of my babies and slowly inch my way back down the trail. The backs of my legs were twitching with freaked-out adrenaline and Mark was a little frustrated that I didn't want to get closer to the arch. I wouldn't even let him take a picture because I couldn't handle seeing him let go of Cooper, who was likely to go chasing the birds right over the edge. So Brooke had to do it. (She was Leslie's hiking buddy.) Leslie was mad at me because I wouldn't even let her stand up. She's a clumsy little girly like her mama and likely to trip. I gritted my teeth for the camera and then proclaimed "I'm SO outta here." I'm sure the little old ladies that I crossed on my way back down didn't mind that I took the right of way so I could have one hand on the rock wall, away from the edge. I was carrying a baby, after all.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Yea! I am glad you guys had fun. Matt ran all the way to see Delicate Arch up close and I was glued to my spot on the rock, Austin on my back, Derek on a leash and tucked under my arm and Zack pinned by my knees. He won't be doing that again. Great photos, too.

Gary and Debbie Rex said...

Looks like TONS of fun!! I totally get the "mother of small children likely to plummet to their death" syndrome. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had boys that would run right over the edge...my body seriously went into panic attack mode when the steep cliff came into view! I'll have to wait a couple of decades before I can handle seeing the Arch, I guess. :)

Brooke and Jared said...

I love that picture of boston in the sand. It really was a little boy's dream sand box. =)

The Haynes Herd said...

That looks like so much fun!!!