Days 2015

Days 2015

Thursday, July 9, 2009

July song

I've been trying really hard lately to get off my hamster wheel. Mark asked me last week, "Where's the race?". I just feel like sometimes I have to work and work and work because if I stop to take a break I will get more behind. I told him that I don't even feel like my expectations are very high--I mean, isn't it not that big of a deal to want the breakfast cereal spills wiped off the counter before bedtime? I guess I just need to remind myself that it is summer and things should slow down a little. For example, yesterday when (miracle!) Macy and Cooper took their naps at the same time and Leslie and Boston were at friends', instead of emptying the dishwasher I took my novel and a tall glass of icewater out to the deck. It was lovely to just, well, sit still and feel the breeze in my hair. This is why I haven't posted for so long, I guess. Plus I think I've been feeling so busy trying to get the yard, garden and house ready for our big 4th of July BBQ. It's our third year and alot of fun. It's alot of work to get everything weeded and looking good, but a party makes a great motivator (for the other adult in my household) and then things stay pretty nice the rest of the summer. I've also been playing catchup with my housework now that my body is feeling a little more rested. Macy's been sleeping through the night regularly for about a month now and it is so nice to not feel like I need a nap. I can even wake up early (ish) to read my scriptures. The last few days I think I've managed to feel truly caught up and able to do some fun things.
Tomorrow we get to take the kids to the Oquirrh Mountain temple openhouse. I'm way excited because we missed the Draper openhouse with Macy being a newborn and all. I think even the boys will love it. They've actually been pretty good all summer.
Monday was our first big honesty lesson for FHE in Boston's young life, and he has been doing so good about telling the truth. Guess what his first big confession was? He told me that he used the bathroom. Not in the bathroom. I asked him to show me where. He did. Outside on the bottom step. But not quite hitting the grass. I think he picked that up from a friend, so I had to establish a new rule at our house. No whizzing on the lawn. He got a big hug for telling the truth. Somehow I thought this first experience with honesty would be a little more, I don't know, Chicken Soup for the Soul worthy. That's parenting for ya.
Here is our July scripture song. I love the part about free forever. It's a little long for my family, so although I put the whole thing to melody, we are only learning the first section, as shown here.
To the tune of "Joy to the World". (I loved the Christmas in July thing...) It's 2 Nephi 2:26

And the Messiah cometh in
the fu-ulness of time,
that he-e may rede-e-eem
the children of men from the fall
andbecause that they are redeemed
from the fa-all the-e-ey have
be-ecome FREE forever know-
ing good from evil.

1 comment:

The Haynes Herd said...

You might need to keep Boston away from Jax when it's time to go to the bathroom when you come up. Jake taught Jax that whizzing on the lawn was a great alternative to the potty. Wasn't my mom surprised when Jake and Jax walked out to her front step to "use the potty" last time we were in Utah. welcome to my redneck family!!
We're excited to see you guys in a couple weeks!