Days 2015

Days 2015

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Typing with a Snugli...



Ha. I am a typing octupus. I got my Snugli baby carrier out today after realizing I was starting to be bugged by a bunch of little things that needed attending, but every time I walked by, my arms would be full of baby. I feel liberated and Macy doesn't seem to mind a bit. Well, actually...

Next day: I broke my personal record today. With all my other babies I cried when they were born and then every day for at least the first two or three weeks from sheer exhaustion. I don't think I even cried at all when Macy came--I shrieked a pretty good few during the birth since my epidural somehow missed the ballpark when it counted--but I don't think I cried. Today was my first good cry. A friend called to ask how I was doing and to bring me some soup and I made a crack about wanting to hire the wolves from The Jungle Book to raise my children because they'd probably do a better job than I am right now, and I found myself somehow leaking profusely from the eyeballs. But I'm actually quite impressed with myself for holding out this long. It just goes to show that with your fourth there is way less emotional adjusting to do. I'm really feeling pretty good. Macy has been good to let me sleep between feedings at night, and if she fusses a bit, Mark gets up with her for a few minutes until she goes back to sleep, so I'm not feeling very sleep deprived at all. These last few days have just been particularly draining because Cooper has had a bad sinus cold and has been following me around ALL DAY LONG moaning and howling "Hold you....hold you!" (He still has his pronouns mixed up.) I hold him as much as I can, but he hasn't figured out that there is a little conflict if Mommy is already holding someone else. And then Boston is cranky because no one is playing with him, so he causes trouble or whines. Today Cooper is doing quite a bit better, only about 30% hold you hold you. Of course, both of them figured out immediately that if I am feeding the baby, they can pretty much get away with anything they want--I'm all bark and no bite. As soon as I get started they make a beeline for the bathroom cabinets or the kitchen drawers. Yesterday Boston ran the bathtub water for probably a good 5 minutes before I even realized it. This is after he had already ran the sink for at least as long and emptied all the baby shampoo down it. Today I willingly, out of desperation, gave them nasty old flyswatters to "go fishing" with (Mark would be horrified--he's the more germ conscious of the two of us) if they promised not to whack each other or put them in their mouths--I was just so tired of the crying and fighting, and if I suggest that they go play with their actual toys that are overflowing out of their playroom, they look at me like I'm an idiot. Of course they got taken away again in about two minutes flat, which caused more crying and fighting. Then it was Mickey Mouse to the rescue--again--so I could feed the baby in peace. I'll be glad when it stops snowing and they can go outside and play in the sandbox. So all the neighbors can enjoy the howling, too. I really didn't think the hard part of having another baby would be the two I already had.
This baby is pretty easy still. I'm very much enjoying getting to just feed her myself instead of having to be up feeding a bottle, then hooked up to a pump, then washing the pump and bottles, then going back to bed FINALLY, like I did with Cooper. Right now we are focusing on figuring out when she wants to nap and when I need to try to wake her up so she will hopefully start going a little longer between her night feedings. The only problem with that is the accompanying guilt that comes when I think she should be awake and I'd rather let her sleep. Oh well. That's one good thing about not being a single parent. If I sabotage my own efforts at a good night's sleep, Mark is there to take up the slack for me. But she's been really good, anyway.
Here's a little funny for you to enjoy. Mark was singing the Happy Family song to Boston the other day, trying to fit all of the kids' names into one verse. ("I love Boston, he loves me" etc.) Boston wasn't quite satisfied with that version. When Mark was done, Boston belted out, "And Daddy loves himself!"

3 comments:

erica e said...

Macy is such a little beauty! And I really still can't believe you have 4. But I'm sure you are handling it better than I would (or will, someday). Motherhood sure does teach you about priorities. Food, love and safety are the most important. Cleanliness (and a few germs)... not so important all the time. Don't pull all your hair out! Love you, Erica

The Haynes Herd said...

Thank heavens for the Snugli! I'm sure you're doing great down there. Keep up the good work and remember, if everybody stays in one piece, you've had a great day!
Macy is so stinking cute. Can't wait to see her.

Millie Price said...

hello, hello! i received macy's announcement in the mail today and was sooo excited for you guys! trent and i were just talking about you guys earlier this week and wishing we'd kept in better touch. i'm so glad you have a blog! we do to, it's trentandmillie.blogspot.com i had to laugh at this post, because you said it all! that is what it means to be a mother some days, it's nice to know that i'm not abnormal. congratulations on your baby girl, she sure is a cutie!