Days 2015

Days 2015

Friday, January 16, 2009

Our Changing Tastes...2009

I'm noticing a few changes within the Day family.

Boston: Boston has been very proud of himself lately because he can dress himself top to bottom without help, and very quickly, too. This is a nice thing for me to not have to wrangle with. I discovered this morning that he is also becoming a little fashion conscious. When he came downstairs I commented on his outfit. The red, black, and orange striped thermal shirt was the same one that he wore yesterday, as were the gray and orange socks. (ew.) He must have yanked them from the hamper. The pants were new, but not surprisingly, the pair he always chooses when he dresses himself. Navy warmups with a bright yellow stripe down the side for easy off and on I guess. They went so, uh, well together. I suggested that he needed new socks and that maybe he should change his shirt since he wore that one yesterday. He rolled his eyes at me, pointed at his shirt, and protested, "Mo-om. This one's awesome!"
One change with him we are hoping for soon is the quick-to-obey skill. I've been working the "love and logic" principles pretty hard lately to try to teach him to not be such a little sassafras and a little more helpful . I'm just remembering how awful it was when Cooper was a new baby and Boss knew he could pretty much get away with whatever he wanted no matter what I said because I was all bark and no bite, not being fast enough to chase him down. Last night I bodily hauled him upstairs under one arm, stomping for effect, of course, and force-dressed him into his jammies an hour before bedtime. He had been told multiple times to clean up his puzzle mess but he hid in the dark pantry with the box instead, totally testing us, wondering what we would do if he didn't mind. Well, he was pretty upset to be told that only boys that know how to mind get to stay up, and ones that don't have to go to bed before everybody else. After a little prodding, he came up with a plan that "might" get Mom to change her mind. He picked up the entire mess by himself and came in to Mark's office to tell him all about the drama. I must say, a little adrenaline does wonders when you are moving that much bulk up the stairs in a hurry.
Leslie: Leslie's birthday is coming up soon, and she is excited because she gets to have a "friends" party this year. She informed me, a little sheepishly, that she didn't want balloons. (?). Okay... She is also excited for baby Grape to come because when the baby moves into Boston's room and Boston moves in with Cooper, Leslie is going to "get rid of" all her princess decorations and put them up in Grape's room.
Cooper: Cooper seems to learn several new words a day and is forming two-four word sentence fragments. Unfortunately he is getting to be more of a handful. The thing we probably tell him the most lately is, "Sit Down!" He stands up on his high chair, climbs up on the counter, and can't be unsupervised in the basement (especially with Boston to help things along) because the two little hooligans like to drag chairs over to the pool table and crawl around on top, knocking the balls around. It's all Mark's fault because he plays it with them in the evenings alot, minus the crawling-around-on-top part.
Mark: Busy because of the extra low interest rates, Mark has been putting in long hours at work, even here at home late at night and Saturday. With everything being so uncertain about how the mortgage industry is going to change, our philosophy has been "Make Hay while the Sun Shines". The really impressive change, though, has been that he has been getting up early to go to the gym with his buddy a couple mornings a week and up early on Tuesday to go to the temple every week with some other buddies. (Yea, he's kind of motivated by his social nature...) So with his early breakfast meeting on Thursdays and bishopric meetings on Sundays, Friday and Saturday are the only days he even gets to watch cartoons! Poor guy.
Jackie: Let's see. I have one pair of jeans that fit. I have to wear support hose to keep my lovely varicosity problems in check. (Thanks mom, grandma, great grandma, etc.) I can still breathe well and eat alot in one sitting, though, so I'm not feeling too huge. I also am starting to think like a mom of four. Yesterday Mark and I decided to put the Odyssey up for sale. I realized that after the baby comes I only will want to drive the ocean liner, I mean, the Tahoe, because in the van I would have to climb into the way back every time to buckle and unbuckle Boston. The Tahoe backseat is three across and plenty wide for two carseats and a carrier, plus Leslie, who doesn't hardly ever come with us on errands anyway, prefers to climb through the back door to the way back seat. And there is no way Mark would be caught dead driving a minivan for work. So we will be back to a car and Tahoe family. I'm absolutely kicking myself for putting up such a stink last year about not wanting to drive the Tahoe. That's why we bought the van in the first place and sold our wonderful, reliable, very-paid-for Camry. Aargh. I'm eating humble pie. I guess that is a change for me.

1 comment:

Haynes Fam said...

Don't you love how nothing ever really stays the same? Have fun down there and enjoy the change, hopefully the weather will change soon too and you can send the boys outside to play in the dirt ;)