Days 2015

Days 2015

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Flood Starts Here: Christmas 2008


Yesterday I sat in a class at church where the teacher distributed copies of Pres. Benson's talk from 1988 (one I actually do remember hearing, twenty years ago in October) , entitled "Flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon". I don't think I've gone over it for a long time, but I was very impressed this time for some reason. The end is kind of sad. Pres. Benson compares himself to Moses who never got to see the promised land. He, age 90 when he gave this talk, said he knew he wouldn't live to see the Book of Mormon flood the earth or for the Lord to lift his condemnation from the saints for receiving it lightly (D&C 84:54-58). Twenty years later, I am pretty confident that this condemnation has not yet been lifted. Yikes!
He also asks this of us.
"I challenge all of us to prayerfully consider steps that we can personally take to bring this new witness for Christ more fully into our own lives and into a world that so desperately needs it."
He had several suggestions on how we could do this, for example, he asked all businessmen who had the opportunity to place copies of the Book of Mormon in their reception areas. (I caught Mark on this one...). He also mentions the "age of electronic media" as a tool. And this was back in 1988! I think he may have meant this talk for some of us in future years. The part that really stuck with me, though, was this.
"I have a vision of thousands of missionaries going into the mission field with hundreds of passages memorized from the Book of Mormon so that they might feed the needs of a spiritually famished world."
Um, do any of you know of a single missionary who went out into the field with HUNDREDS of scriptures from the Book of Mormon memorized? Maybe 25? I don't think this prophecy has been anywhere near fulfilled yet, but I am a mom of two little boys. I have the power in me to accomplish this seemingly impossible task. (At least for two missionaries.)
So, this Christmas, we are having a kickoff of a family goal to memorize one scripture from the Book of Mormon every month. If we do this, Boston will know 100 by the time he is 12. (Sorry Mom. I know the Christmas tradition is to teach the kids "Fear not, for behold" every year, I know you are completely heartbroken.) And now you say, how can a three year old possibly retain something like that until he turns 19 and then for the rest of his life? There's a little trick a friend that moved in from Washington brought our class when we were in seminary together. All you have to do is attach the scripture to a familiar tune and it will be in that un-erasable part of your brain forever. (It's a good thing, because the regular part of my brain that used to be able to memorize things is completely shot.) Does anyone have access to the scripture mastery scriptures that have already been set to hymns, used by some seminary instructors? I only know four of them but would LOVE to have a complete list. I don't want to re-invent the wheel or anything.
Anyway, I think I had a little help this morning when I was trying to figure out our first one because I picked the right song right away. I thought this was extra appropriate for Christmastime, and the true meaning of the season. I'll try to type it out here transposed with the meter of the hymn if anyone else cares to join us while we learn it. Good luck!

To the tune of, "Oh Come All Ye Faithful".
Scripture: 2 Nephi 25:26

Oh Come, all ye Faith-ful. Joy-ful and Tri-um-phant.
__ We talk of Christ, we re-joice in Christ, we preach

Oh come, ye, oh co-ome ye to Be-eth-le-hem.
of Christ,we-e pro-phe-cy of Christ, and we write

Come and be-hold Him. Born the King of a-an-gels.
A-ccord-ing to our Pro-o- phe-e- ci-ee-ees.

Oh come, let us a-dore Him. Oh come, let us a-dore Him.
That our chil-dren may know to what so-ource they may look for

Oh come, let us a-dore Hi- im, Chri- ist, the Lord!
A re- mis-sion of their sins. Second NephiTwenty-fiveTwen- ty- six!

If this isn't helpful, call me and I'll sing it for you. Ah, I found a website that has someone singing the scripture mastery verses, but I haven't listened yet to see if they are the same ones I already knew. Any others?
http://lds.about.com/od/seminary/a/scripture_songs_2.

1 comment:

Lorena said...

That just might help me memorize my scriptures. Nobody had come up with that stuff when I was in seminary! Your a great mom.