Days 2015

Days 2015

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Restrictions Restrictions...

I learned a great lesson on mothering for Mother's Day. Everyone let me have a nap this afternoon and I had a dream that Leslie and I were out riding bikes. I hit a pothole (typical) with a start and woke myself up. Trying to pull myself out of the post-nap-grog, I suggested to Leslie that we go practice her bike riding. A little background here...poor Leslie got a bike for her 4th birthday. Her birthday is in February when it is too cold to try things out. So we waited until May or so, when I was 5 months pregnant. That was a bad idea, but she had training wheels, so it was still fun for her and I didn't feel too much pressure for her to learn. I'm the one feeling any kind of pressure at all, because Mark and his cousins taught themselves in one afternoon, so he was kind of expecting Leslie to do the same. Maybe our boys will... So then Boston is born, we move to a new neighborhood and we kind of mess around with having her up on one wheel, but it doesn't work very well and Boston doesn't walk or anything, so I have to stay by him and watch her struggle on her own. That was summer, age 5. Then we found out Cooper would be arriving in May, you are following correctly here; summer age 6 was pretty much shot because of a newborn in arms. So now we are almost on summer age 7. We've changed flat tires and adjusted seats. We've removed the training wheels. The weather has been frigid all spring. But today, well, today Mom had a nap, a dream, sunny weather and a sunny disposition to go with it.
THE MIRACLE OCCURRED!!

Back to the cool mothering lesson I learned. I tried something different with her today. Usually I run behind her on the sidewalk and try to keep her from steering into the grass every two seconds and hopping off, then starting over, etc. Today we ventured into new territory--an entire empty development loop just north of our house. Half a mile of newly paved road in a loop with nary a car or a house , surrounded by pasture and flanked by a pretty red stucco barn. (Yeah, that part's kind of weird, but the sun was shining, so hey.) I started her in the dead middle of the road. The first few attempts were a little rough, but exciting because she finally had room to ride into the S curve and correct her balance on the push off. She SSSd all over the street, sometimes doing circles. BUT SHE STAYED ON. By the time we got to the back side of the loop, she was going in a straight line, and was officially riding her bike, stopping and starting with no problems. All this time 'staying between the lines' was holding her back! She needed enough room to balance out and correct herself for her to learn how to do it. I think sometimes I impose too many restrictions as a mother. My kids need a little room to learn.

2 comments:

elshmobelsh said...

Yeah Leslie! What a great insight.

Brooke and Jared said...

Ya that makes a lot of sense. Tell her nice work from us. Have you checked out our blog yet?