Days 2015

Days 2015

Friday, May 9, 2008

The 4 generation pedigree isn't so big after all...

I was thinking last night that it's pretty cool that Leslie gets to know three sets of her Great Grandparents quite well. My Grandpa Happy Jack Haynes and step-Grandma Shirley came and stayed with us last night. It was so fun to see my nearly 81 year old grandpa out playing kickball with Leslie and Boston, drop kicking it out into the yard for them to chase or pitching it to Leslie. He approves of our big yard. It was also funny for me to see him after a long time and, not living close to family anymore, realize how much his gestures and mannerisms match my Dad and even my brothers. While I was cooking dinner he and Leslie sat on the couch and thumbed through a book about Joseph Smith I had on the lamp table. He had her read some of it aloud and sat and explained some of the pictures, talking to her about his trip to Nauvoo when I was just a kid. She was so interested. He talked about meeting a young couple, also tourists, and the wife asked him which branch of the church they belonged to. "Well, uh, the main one." This couple was from the RLDS church and said they were on their way to see the Kirtland temple. The wife pointed out that their church still owned that one. Grandpa wisely asked, "Oh. Well, is it working?" The wife didn't know what he meant and he bore his testimony to her (and to Leslie) about marriages that can last forever. The young wife was in tears by the time he was done, and the husband hurried her away. Grandpa was in tears telling Leslie about it. It was so sweet. Then this morning he just sat and took the time to be her friend in ways that we don't, asking about her typical schedule at school, and her lunches. He sat and went over her calendar of meals for each day and gave her advice for which foods she should pick. "I'd go for the canned pears." Shirley had fun watching the boys play and smiling at Cooper. She's a well-known local artist and this trip she painted us a big oil painting. I was a little nervous to see it because she does a lot of rugged, old barns and wildlife and stuff like that, and my house isn't really fit for that style. But it actually turned out great and will look very nice on our "grand staircase". It's an autumn picture with lots of golden quaking aspen, some fir trees, a stream and a big sky of clouds. It reminds me of going on the Alpine Loop highway. It was nice to have them stay in the basement. 1. You can't hear my babies crying down there and 2. I suppose Grandpa couldn't hear us anyway, so I wasn't nervous about anyone getting woken up. It was a good thing, too, because Boston woke up with a nightmare. I can always tell when he's had a bad dream because instead of just sneaking in to get Mark (there's a great suggestion right there, ladies, have your side of the bed as far away from the door as possible...) he runs in and slams the door behind him so whatever is chasing him can't get in! So cute.

No comments: