Days 2015

Days 2015

Monday, April 21, 2008

Robin the Lamanite

We had a fun Family Home Evening tonight. Boston has been super into Robin Hood lately. He asks to watch the show all the time (I don't let him, hardly) and carries around a paperback Disney book of Robin Hood all day, begging to be read to. So, I thought that this was a perfect time for a Samuel the Lamanite lesson. Especially since the kids got suction cup arrows in their kids meal from the Dairy Keen (what a lame name for a cool place) in Heber. So we talked about what prophets do, how Samuel tried again even though it was hard, and then I showed Boston the two pictures, one of Robin Hood hanging from the pulley rope in the castleyard being shot at, and one of Samuel the Lamanite on the wall in a similar position. We identified the "bad guys" and "good guys" in the pictures. Then I told Boston he could be Samuel the prophet. He looked a little nervous. We sat him up on a barstool, put a red cape on him so he would match the picture, handed him a book with Jesus on it and told him what to say. Then I said that since he was obeying Heavenly Father, the arrows couldn't knock him off the wall. (He looked more than a little nervous.) Then we took turns throwing suction cup arrows at him and missing. (Except for Leslie, who didn't catch that she was supposed to miss him.) He stayed on the wall and it was all good. Except when he got down and demanded to have a turn being a bad guy. Great. So Leslie got a turn on the wall. Mark pointed out later that this was a good lesson since it engaged the two year old, but we probably actually just taught him to stone the prophet. sigh. I tried.
We had a little overnighter for the family at a fancy hotel in Midway (the Zermatt) that Mark had a free stay at. It was all Swiss theme and decor with a European bakery attached, a merry go round, mini-golf course and pool. It was nice to get away and not have to be in the car very long. The kids had a blast, Mark and I enjoyed ourselves, and we decided that someday we are going to spring for a suite or adjoining rooms so we're not just all lying in the dark at 8:45 waiting for the boys to settle down and drift off so the rest of us can.
Then Saturday my Mom came down with my brother for a quick trip, so we got to see her. Leslie was so cute and surprised about the whole thing. It was fun. She got to stay for church and watch kids while I directed the choir. I guess we didn't do very well (just kidding) because the bishop pulled me out of Relief Society for a little visit. More on that next week after I get my name put before the congregation. Leslie asked why we don't tell people that we are getting a new calling in church. I told her it's so the people don't have a chance to think about it before they "vote".

No comments: