Days 2015

Days 2015

Friday, April 11, 2008

In for a penny...

I have a few moments while Boston is in sitting on my bed, playing with pennies out of the coin jug. That used to be Leslie's favorite game: I would dump out a few coins in a pile and she would have a blast sorting them back out and plink plinking them back in. Boston was loving it. Mark came upstairs on a little break from work and I proudly told him what Boss had been doing. I invited him to dump some more out for him to pick up. I forgot that men are quite literal. He dumped out the entire gallon jug of coins. So now Boston is having a great time rolling in it. I told him he had to pick it all up before lunch. Yeah. We'll see how far that goes.
I guess I need to take a minute to brag about Leslie. With her being gone all day and being so easy to take care of (Mark says she's on auto-pilot) I probably don't talk about her that much. She is so smart. She takes a turn giving our family home evening lesson every third week and does an incredible job. Last week I was too busy to help her, so I referred her to one of our FHE idea books. She chose, read the lesson and improvised her own picture-word game for us to guess the clues that would help us "Be a Missionary Now.", then gave a perfect delivery. If my scanner worked I would show you her clues. Here's an example the word BOYS, then a picture of a house, then someone pointing at a blackboard with math on it. (Home teaching). She's my little seven year old merit badge.
This week she also told us that her class has been writing a story collectively for a few months, and this week it came to a close. All the children were told to write what they think happened to the main character and submit their ending. The teacher chose eight of the endings and the kids voted which one was the best that they would put in the finished copy of the book. Yes, she won.
Leslie's school does a take-home reading program where the students are given a book every day according to their reading level. The goal is to help the child like reading on a daily basis and to improve fluency. They read it for homework and the parent signs it off so they can receive a new one the next day. Leslie is at the highest level in her class--reading the same books as the third graders. We recently had to amend her program because they kept giving her pretty technical science books about outer space etc., and she started complaining that she doesn't LIKE non fiction, she only likes the "fake kind". Me too.

1 comment:

amcurtis77 said...

Hello,

I know you don't know me, but I went to High School with Mark. I found a link to your blog through my good friend Libby's page and I have been reading it, I hope you don't mind.

Anyways, I had to comment because it is really amazing to see Mark and his beautiful wife and family. When you speak of your daughter, it reminds me of my daughter, Bell, and it makes me smile because our families are so very different!

When we were still in High School, I went through a life-changing event where a girl ran out in front of my car while I was driving, and I accidentally hit her. She almost died and it was an incredibly traumatic time in my life. If it weren't for the support of my friends in Madrigals at the time, and your husband Mark in particular, I don't know if I would have made it through. I don't know if he even knows the impact his kindness had on me, but even all these years later I tear up as I write this. So I guess I just wanted you both to know.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Melissa Curtis (Gurrister)