Days 2015

Days 2015

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oobleck and 6 things about me

I'm actually writing this because I am procrastinating looking online for a coloring picture of a castle to use in Leslie's first grade class. Every Friday they do something called Fairytale Friday. I'm supposed to host it four times this year and my first time is tomorrow. I'm reading them Dr. Seuss's Bartholomew and the Oobleck and talking about imaginary words like Muggle, Quidditch, Oobleck, Lorax, and Jabberwocky. Then they get to color a picture of a castle and rain some colored-glue Oobleck on the picture, naming it whatever they want to. I'm nervous about the whole craft project thing--NOT my strong point. Reading a story will be fine--I can even do accents. Anyway, I'll be glad when it's over. Anyone have any ideas for the other three times I have to do this? The rest of us are fine here. Cooper has been super cute lately (as always) and has started to say Mamamama. I don't think he knows what it means, but I'm enjoying it anyway. Mark and I tried to go on a date last night to the newly opened Cheesecake Factory in Sandy. There was a two hour wait (and it was only Wednesday...) so we bagged it and went to Red Lobster. Poor me. I'm so spoiled with a husband who wants to take me out every week and who has an assistant who will babysit evenings while her husband is in class.
My friend Michelle tagged me on her blog that I am supposed to write six things about my self that not many people know, if any. Hmmm. I'm a pretty open book so this might be difficult.
1. My Mom taught me how to do long addition and subtraction before I started kindergarten and I would stay up in bed after lights out doing problems that she had made up for me. Either that or reading through the stacks of old Reader's Digests that were stored in my bedroom then for some reason.
2. I have this secret fantasy of wishing I had been the lead drummer in high school. Every time "Takin' Care of Business" comes on the radio I am totally jamming out in the car, with visions of being the preppy girl drummer that took everyone by surprise.
3. The naughtiest thing I did in high school was to go visit a boy from far away who was at a local speech meet. Naughty because I took the car and told my mom I was going to watch my friend Jennifer's performance. Well, I did that too... Big whoop.
4. I am a bird-o-phobe. (Don't know the technical term for this...) Especially chickens. We butchered our own growing up and I remember my brothers chasing me around with cut off chicken feet or squirting quill pus at me.
5. I have been almost legally married to both of my brothers. My dad was a branch president and was nervous about performing a marriage ceremony for a couple in our branch, so he practiced on us kids.
6. I think it would be cool to have six kids. On a bad day it's five. Maybe this comes from being a genealogist and seeing how many kids people used to have in their families, decreasing by one every generation. I would like to reverse that trend and go for six since Mark and I both come from families of five.
Bonus (since I obviously like to talk about myself too much...) I am an old soul, quite literally. I am the eldest child, grandchild, and great grandchild on my Mom's side of the family. Possibly great great and so on until the beginning of time, but I really haven't checked
Adrianne, you're it.

3 comments:

erica ernstrom said...

Jackie you are so cool! Thanks for sharing about yourself. I feel lucky to be able to call myself a friend of Jackie Day, old soul that she is!

elshmobelsh said...

Jackie, I hope you don't mind I linked to your blog from Erica's. I am so amazed at this world my friends are all a part of that I didn't know existed. I just don't spend much time online I guess. But Jay is at meetings again tonight, so I thought I'd catch up on a few and I found a few more to peek at. I enjoyed reading up on you. I have drummer fantasies too! Confession... I love to jam in my van with the music really loud when the kids are not in there. I still can't believe I'm a minivan mom.

I loved reading your stuff and as "open book" as you are, it was all news to me. ;o)

Michelle said...

thanks for following through with the "tag". It was fun to read now things about you that I had no idea. Almost being married to both brothers...interesting.