Days 2015

Days 2015

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Dog, the Goose, and the Turnips

Monday was my first full day alone and without help. (Leslie indignantly reminds me that she was helping!!) It wasn't too bad. Everyone that needed a nap got one, including me. I even did the family home evening lesson. I realized, however, that for the next while my life is going to be like that old crossing the river riddle. You know, the one with the farmer who has only one rowboat and has to cross the river with his dog, his goose, and his vegetables that he is taking to the market. He can't leave the dog with the goose or the goose with the vegetables, etc. Well, those are my kids right now. Except in my analogy the vegetables are also noisy. It's been pretty comical. I haven't decided which one Boston is, the goose maybe? I tried leaving him by himself and while he was alone he pulled one of the electrical sockets out of the wall by the nightlight that was plugged into it. He loves to do this "shock and awe" attack where he runs up and thumps the baby's feet while I'm feeding him and then runs away before I can yell at him. And I kept finding army toys he had thrown down into the pack and play for the baby. Great. He calls them his "guys". Uncle Duke, who is living in Provo for the summer, got them for him the other day. He's got my house all figured out. He walks in, shows the kids the toys, and says, "Let's go open them in the Red Room so we don't have to clean up the mess!" All in all, though, my house has stayed pretty clean, even with the new arrival. Thanks to my mom, mostly.
Cooper had his consultation at Primary Children's. His first surgery will be in August, fixing his lip. Then they'll do the soft palate next spring and the hard palate between 2 and 3. He'll have to wear a retainer-type appliance most of thissummer that helps move his palate together a little. It will look bad because it will be taped to his cheeks, but hopefully Cooper will enjoy it. (I hear most babies suck on them like binkies, so that's encouraging...Cooper loves the binky but we have to hold it in his mouth for him. This retainer may just be a version of what Mark has mentioned to me several times with our other kids--a binky with duct tape.) Right now Cooper only has one binky--those green hospital ones are supposed to be the easiest for him and of course, they were all sold out at WalMart--this IS Utah County, you know. So...if anyone is running errands and happens to notice that they've restocked, pick us up a few more.

No comments: