Days 2015

Days 2015

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Super Cooper


Yes, our baby is here. Early hours Friday morning Mark took me to the hospital with some pretty strong contractions. They measured me at a three and a half and told me I had one hour to progress. The pressure was on! So we walked and walked. And nothing happened. So they gave me some drugs to sleep and sent us home. The contractions were still coming strong the next morning. I got breakfast in bed and then went to my already scheduled checkup after lunch. The nurse noted that my blood pressure was up and said, matter of factly, well, it's because you are laboring. The doctor came in, measured me at a five, and told me to just mosey across the street to the hospital so he could break my water. I progressed pretty fast after that, pushed for about five or ten minutes and out came Cooper! Everyone was guessing his weight...8lbs 6? 8 lbs 14? Nope! Nine lbs even. And believe it or not, I feel like I'm recovering more quickly than with my other midget babies. (8lbs 8 and 8lbs 10.)
Cooper has a cleft lip and cleft palate on the left side. We knew about the lip for sure from the ultrasound, but were waiting to see if his palate would be intact. Well, it's not, so he can't breastfeed, but I'm starting to get into the groove of this bottle thing and enjoying the freedom and flexibility of not being his "sole provider". Mark used to say that when he tried to take care of Leslie screaming in the night, he felt like he was going to war without a gun. Well, no more excuses for him! And I get to walk around and give orders while feeding the baby at the same time. One difficult change, though, is that I have to use both hands. I tried to eat one of these gourmet chocolate chip cookies that my VTs brought me while I was feeding Cooper today, and the poor baby got crumbs all over his head. My chin holding the bottle upright was just not working well.
We'll be meeting with Cooper's surgery team at Primary Children's Hospital soon. So far we think he will probably have his first surgery, repairing the lip, at about 9 weeks, hopefully that soon because he is a big baby and eating well. Then the palate repairs will start a few months after that. I think he will look alot like Mark when all is said and done.
Cooper has been very well behaved so far--no turning blue from screaming like Boston did or howling all night like Leslie. His biggest problem is staying awake while eating.
Leslie LOVES getting to hold the baby and has been a huge help already--Cooper seems very comfy in her arms. Boston loves the baby but has to do so from a distance. (yeah. He tried to bean him with a windshield scraper yesterday. We've been telling him there's a new sheriff in town, but we didn't think he'd be ready for the showdown quite so soon...)
I'm feeling great and both Mark and I really appreciate all the offers of help we've been getting. Thanks so much!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the pictures. Glad to hear the entire story. I love the new sheriff in town...Good Luck!

erica ernstrom said...

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that he doesn't scream or howl like Boston or Leslie. :) Our colds have kept us away but we hope to see you this next week. I'm so glad everything has gone well.